The LIFE TTGG project “The tough get going” was co-funded by the European Environment and Climate Action Programme (Life 2014-2020). The objective of the project is to orient the development of the dairy sector towards an improvement in the production process efficiency, in order to guarantee its growth and preserve quality in the perspective of environmental sustainability.
In order to achieve the objective of improving the efficiency of the whole European PDO hard and semi-hard cheese production chain, the project involves 7 highly qualified partners: Consorzio tutela Grana Padano, Politecnico di Milano, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore di Piacenza, Fondazione Qualivita, oriGIn, Enersem and CNIEL.
Among these, The Department of Energy of the Politecnico di Milano carries out research activities in disciplines and technologies related to the production, conversion, transport and use of energy.
Over the years it has built a multidisciplinary team that deals with Life Cycle Assessment. The Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) method is used to measure the environmental performance of products (goods and services) in their life cycle, from the extraction of raw materials to the disposal of the final product.
The Department of Energy is the LIFE TTGG project coordinator and is involved in:
- activities of project management and monitoring.
- data collection and analysis in the dairies of Grana Padano, Abondance, Beaufort, Queso Mahon Menorca and Stilton Cheese.
- definition of reference values for dairies linked to the production of Grana Padano.
- design and development of the Environmental Decision Support Software (EDSS) for the dairies.
- networking activities with other European projects and with national and European institutions.